Year End Review: Ministry of Steel
Ministry of Steel initiative of Make in Steel – Make in India
#myLOVESTEELideas to popularise use of steel
Turnaround of Steel CPSEs in 2017-18
The National Steel Policy 2017 and Domestically Manufactured Iron & Steel Products Policy 2017, has led to huge growth in both production and consumption of steel. The per capita consumption has risen from 59 kgs in 2013-14 to 69 kgs in 2017-18. India has produced 103 Million Tonnes of steel in 2017-18 and will soon become the second largest producer of steel in the world in the year 2018. The capacity of steel production has increased from 97 Million Tonnes in 2012-13 to 138 Million Tonnes in 2017-18.The Government of India’s emphasis and commitment to building infrastructure,Make-in-India and Smart City Mission has led to the consumption of steel growing dramatically. More than 50% production is in the secondary steel sector comprising of small producers spread across the country employing a large number of people directly or indirectly.
- Ministry of steel is promoting rural and urban development through low cost housing designs by INSDAG and various other structures like bridges, culverts, anganwadis, panchayat halls and community toilet.
- Ministry of Steel has in collaboration with M/o Railways, Road Transport, Rural Development, Environment and Forest, Coal and Consumer Affairs increased steel usage and fast tracking of steel projects.
Use of Steel in Indian Railway tracks
- The Ministry of Steel utilized MyGov platform to crowd source ideas for increasing steel consumption in India.
- A contest was conducted inviting ideas in steel sector called #myLOVESTEELideas:
The first prize was awarded to Sumit Gupta from Delhi for his idea of Steel based expandable tiny homes for providing low cost basic housing with solar panels and bio toilets.
Second Prize was awarded to HareeshS. from Thiruvanthapuram for his idea of designs for Stainless steel waste bin, incorporating enclosed segregated storage and with provisions for advertising space.
Third prize was awarded to VasimMalek from Nadiad City, Gujarat for his idea of laying underground permanent steel utility ducting along roads and in apartments for eliminating disruption of daily life of citizens due to repeated digging up.
Flagship programmes like 100 Smart Cities Mission, Housing for all Mission, Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation and high-speed bullet trains and metro trains all will hugely contribute in increasing steel demand in our country.
Union Minister for Steel
Steel Industry without doubt is a major industrial sector which plays a very important role in the economic development of any nation. The Indian Steel Industry has made significant contribution to the all-round economic development of India.
Vishnu Deo Sai
Union Minister of State for Steel
Steel sector trends
- India is currently the world’s 3rd largest producers of crude steel in 2017 and already has become 2nd largest producers in the period Jan to Oct 2018.
|Table 1: MAJOR STEEL-PRODUCING COUNTRIES|
|(in million tonnes)|
|Source: WSA, Statistical Year Book 2018|
- India is currently the world’s largest producer of direct reduced iron(DRI)/sponge iron.
|Table 2: DRI PRODUCING COUNTRIES|
|(in million tonnes)|
|United Arab Emirates||3.1||2.4||3.2||3.5||3.6||3.1|
|Source: WSA, Statistical Year Book 2018|
- The country is 3rd largest consumers of finished steel in world in 2017 and expected to be 2nd largest consumers soon.
|Table 3: Top 10 Steel Using Countries 2017|
|(in million tonnes)|
|Countries||2013||2014||2015||2016||2017||2018 (f)||2019 (f)|
|Source: WSA, Statistical Year Book 2018, Short Range Outlook 2018|
|f – forecast|
Production, consumption and demand of finished steel
- The per capita consumption of finished steel in India has been rise from 60 kg in 2013 to 69 kg in 2017 and 59 kg in 2013-14 to 69 kg in 2017-18
|Table 4: Per capita apparent Steel use (production,ASDU in ‘000 tonnes)—Financial Year wise|
|Apparent Steel Use (ASU)||74096||76992||81525||84042||90706|
|Population (eco survey 1718)||125.1||126.7||128.3||129.9||131.6|
|ASU per capita (kg)||59||61||64||65||69|
- Crude steel capacity in country stood at 137.975 million tonnes in 2017-18 while production of crude steel reached at 103.131 million tonnes.
|Table 5: Capacity and Production of Crude Steel|
|(in ‘000 tonnes)|
|Year||Working Capacity||Production||% Utilisation|
- India has been a net exporter of finished steel in last two years.
|Table 6: Trade of Finished Steel|
|(in ‘000 tonnes)|
Major Initiatives and achievements
BOOST TO SECONDARY STEEL SECTOR
Memorandum of Understanding [MoUs] With Capital Goods Manufactures Under ‘Make In India’ Initiative
The National Steel Policy – 2017 envisages creation of 300 million tonnes (MT) of steel capacity in the country by 2030-31 as against existing capacity of about 137 MT. The estimated import of plant and equipment, for reaching 300 MT capacity, will be around USD 25 billion. Further, it is estimated that at 300 MT capacity level, India will have to spend about USD 500 million annually for import of proprietary and other spares.
Ministry of Steel organized a Conclave on “Capital Goods in Steel Sector: Manufacturing in India” in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha on 23.10.2018. The Conclave is an initiative to promote domestic capacity and capability building and manufacturing of capital goods in steel sector.
To accomplish the Vision of the Government of India, SAIL signed MOUs during the Conclave with Capital Goods manufacturers’ (BHEL, HEC and MECON) so as to give a boost to indigenization of manufacturing of Capital goods related to steel sector.
Award Scheme for Secondary Steel Producers
Ministry of Steel has instituted an Award Scheme for Secondary Steel Producers in the year 2018, to give recognition for their contribution in the national economy and to encourage these producers to achieve high standards of efficiency, quality, safety & economy in operation and also to promote innovation, waste utilization, reduction in GHG emission etc. The awards were given away at the Secondary Steel Sector Conclave held on September 13, 2018 for the performance year 2016-17.
DOMESTICALLY MANUFACTURED IRON AND STEEL PRODUCTS (DMI&SP) POLICY
The policy of preference to domestic manufacturers of iron and steel products (DMI&SP) which was rolled out in May,2017 has brought an estimated savings of around Rs.8500 crores worth of foreign exchange.
Steel Research and Technology Mission of India (SRTMI)
Government has facilitated setting up of an innovative institutional mechanism namely SRTMI to promote joint collaborative research projects of national importance in iron & steel sector in India. This is an industry driven platform and the initial corpus is being funded by the major steel companies. SRTMI has been registered under the Societies Registration Act on 14th October 2015. SRTMI is actively interacting with steel companies, research labs & academia to spearhead research for the iron & steel sector.
Budget for R&D
Ministry of Steel is financing thepromotion in Research and Development in Steel Sector, an R&D scheme. During the year 2018, 10 R&D projects have been approved with total cost of Rs 43.87 crore with financial assistance of Rs. 40.79 crore from the Government budget. 25 R&D projects are in progress. Ministry of Steel is also funding 50% (Rs. 5.52 crore) in 3 R&D projects being pursued under the IMPRINT Scheme of MHRD with a total cost of Rs 11.04 crore.
R&D through Steel Development Fund
During the year 2018, 9 on-going R&D projects were pursued with under the SDF assisted R&D scheme.
Centre of Excellence in Steel Technology
Ministry of Steel is providing financial assistance for setting up of Centre of Excellences for creation of world class facility for metallurgical engineering and also for development of human resource for the steel sector. Such facilities are promoting R&D for the iron & steel sector and also generate skilled manpower for the sector. Four such Centers have been set up/ approved at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay, IIT, BHU and IIT, Madras.
Quality control of Steel and Steel Products
Ministry of Steel is the leading Ministry with maximum coverage of products under the BIS certifications marks scheme. More than 85% steel products in the country are covered under Mandatory Quality Control Orders. These orders prohibit, import, sale and distribution of substandard steel products. This ensures better health & safety standards for end-users. Ministry of Steel has so far covered 47 carbon steel and 6 stainless steel products standards under the Mandatory BIS Certification scheme.Government has been facilitating supply of quality steel for critical end-use applications such as infrastructure, construction, housing and engineering sector.
NEDO Model Projects
NEDO is the New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) established as a Japanese Governmental organization in 1980 to promote the development and introduction of new energy technologies and research and development of industrial technology. NEDO is active in a wide variety of areas as one of the largest public research and development management organizations in Japan.
With the aim of raising the level of industrial technology, NEDO pursues research and development of advanced new technology. Drawing on its considerable management know-how, NEDO carries out projects to explore future technology seeds as well as mid- to long-term projects that form the basis of industrial development. It also supports research related to practical application.
Under the NEDO model projects, Ministry of Steel, with financial assistance from Government of Japan, facilitated setting up of model projects in integrated steel plants to promote energy efficient, clean and green technologies. During the period April 2014-March 2018, one model project on Energy Management System has been approved and is under implementation at ISP Burnpur of SAIL.
Ministry of Steel in association with UNDP and AusAid have implemented the project “Up scaling Energy Efficient Production in Small Scale Steel Industry in India”. Through this project, skill development training was imparted to implement energy efficient technologies in 283 re-rolling mills and 4 induction furnace units for improvement of productivity, reduction in energy consumption and GHG emission. This resulted in average 24% reduction in energy consumption in these units.
STEEL AUTHORITY OF INDIA LIMITED (SAIL)
Blast furnace of Bhilai Steel Plant
Modernization& Expansion Plan of SAIL
- Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) had undertaken modernisation& expansion of its five integrated steel plants at Bhilai (Chhattisgarh), Bokaro (Jharkhand), Rourkela (Odisha), Durgapur (West Bengal) &Burnpur (West Bengal) and Special Steel Plant at Salem (Tamil Nadu) to enhance its crude steel capacity from 12.8 Million tonne per annum (Mtpa) to 21.4 Mtpa.
- The modernisation& expansion of Salem Steel Plant, Rourkela Steel Plant, IISCO Steel Plant, Durgapur Steel Plant and Bokaro Steel Plant have been completed. The new facilities are under operation, stabilization and production ramp up.
- At Bhilai Steel Plant, major facilities under modernisation& expansion have been completedand the integrated process route is in operation. Prime Minister of India dedicated the Modernized and Expanded Bhilai Steel Plant to the Nation on 14.6.2018.
JV for Hydro Electric Power Plant
A Joint Venture has been formed between SAIL and Green Energy Development Corporation of Odisha (GEDCOL), a subsidiary of the Odisha Hydro Power Corporation (OHPC), for installation of a 10 MW Hydro Electric Power Plant at Mandira dam of RSP. SAIL will hold 26% equity in the JV and balance 74% will be held by GEDCOL. The Joint Venture Company “GEDCOL SAIL Power Corporation Limited (GSPCL)” has been incorporated on 6.9.2018.
Development of Railway Line
Ministry of Railways, State Government of Chhattisgarh and SAIL are in the process of construction of Broad Gauge (BG) rail link between Dalli-Rajhara and Rowghat over a stretch of 95 kms. Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL), under the Ministry of Railways, has been mandated by the Ministry of Railways to construct this rail line between Dalli-Rajhara and Rowghat. The second segment of rail line construction from 17 km till 34 kms was completed during the year 2018. Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, inaugurated this stretch in April this year. The line in now operational.
MoU with AAI
SAIL and Airports Authority of India (AAI) MoU in April 2018 on utilization of SAIL’s Rourkela, Bokaro and Burnpur airstrips under Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) – UDAN, a flagship project of Government of India.
Production at Steel Processing Unit (SPU) in Himachal Pradesh
SPU, Kandruori, Himachal Pradesh, with a capacity of 100,000 tonnes per annum of TMT Bars, commenced regular production during the year 2018. The Unit was earlier inaugurated by Prime Minister of India. The product of SPU, Kandrori is being sold mainly in Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab for meeting requirement of projects and retail customers of the region.
Campaign to promote steel consumption:
The campaign ‘SAIL Steel – गांव की ओर’,launched by SAIL with the aim of increasing general awareness about usage of Steel, brand building at grass root levels, informing the masses in out-bound, far-flung and rural areas about importance of Steel, and connecting with the local contractors, engineers and users, continued to engage actively with the target population in 2018. Sixty-seven meets were organized during Apr-Nov’18. The participants include masons, representatives of local panchayat or tehsil, bank officials and professors, retired government employees, micro dealers of steel & cement, local consumers, engineers and retail channel partners of SAIL.
Upgradation of Ispat General Hospital at Rourkela
Rourkela Steel Plant in Odisha
The 600 bed, Ispat General Hospital at Rourkela of SAILhas been upgraded at an estimated cost of around Rs.295 crore. The hospital now offers post-graduate medical education in 6 disciplines:burns & plastic surgery, neurosurgery, neurology, cardiology, cardio-thoracic surgery and nephrology.
Ispat General Hospital is presently catering to the local population, apart from the employees of SAIL and their families and also extends free medical facilities under various CSR initiatives.
AnMoU has been signed between SAIL and Rourkela Steel Plant and National Buildings Corporation of India Ltd. on 13th August, 2018 for further development for the upgradation of the hospital.
Turnaround of SAIL
In the year ended March 2018, SAIL reported the highest ever turnover of around Rs. 58,297 crore, clocking a growth of 18.5% over the previous year. The Company also registered Cash Profit of Rs.2,583 crore in the year ended Mar 2018 vis-à-vis cash loss of Rs.153 crore in CPLY. Moreover, SAIL started the turnaround with reduction in losses by more than 80% on annual basis. In H2 2017-18, it turned into profits by registering PBT of Rs.1,268 crore.
Continuing with the strong performance, SAIL posted a turnover of Rs.32,284 crore, a growth of 23% over CPLY. PBT in H1 2018-19 stood at around Rs.1, 676crore, as against a loss before tax of around Rs. 2,028 crore during CPLY.
NATIONAL MINERAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (NMDC)
NISP Nagarnar, Bastar, Chhattisgarh
The world standards 3MTPA integrated steel plant established at Nagarnar, in Bastar district of Chhattisgarh,will become operational in 2019. It will be operating with zero discharge and has been designed with state of art technology for energy efficient technology.
The plant is designed to have optimum use of water and power. Latest dedusting system, effluent treatment plant, pollution monitoring system are adopted. All air and other emission are over and above the world standards. The raw material handling system is completely automated and is equipped with high performance dust suppression systems.
The entire plant is installed in less than 1800 Acres having 25m width green belt all around the boundary wall and 33% of area is covered with trees.
RASHTRIYA ISPAT NIGAM LTD (RINL)
- Visakhapatnam Steel Plant (VSP) under the corporate entity RashtriyaIspat Nigam Ltd (RINL) is the first shore based Public Sector integrated steel plant in India. RINL-VSP has the distinction to be certified for ISO 27001 – Information Security Management Systems (ISMS).
- RINL has undertaken modernization of its existing major production facilities like blast furnaces, steel melt shop converters and sinter plant to upkeep the health of major equipment, which are in operation for more than 2 decades. The modernization programmes envisaged adoption of latest technology to make the units energy efficient and environment friendly. The modernization has been completed except sinter machine-2, which is likely to be taken up duly considering optimum production model with 3 blast furnaces operation. Along with modernization, one more converter and caster have been installed enhancing liquid steel capacity by 1 MTPA. i.e., from 6.3 MTPA to 7.3 MTPA. All the modernized & revamped units and additional converter and caster units are in operation.
- Improvement was registered in all major production areas of RINL over the corresponding period of previous year. It registered a growth of 18% in hot metal, 19% in liquid steel, 15% in finished steel and 17% in saleable steel production over the corresponding period last year.
- The Sales Turnover of RINL was Rs.13,059 crore, a growth of 39% over corresponding period last year and sale of 3.003 mt of steel, a growth of 15% over corresponding period last year.
MANGANESE ORE INDIA LIMITED (MOIL)
- MOIL is a miniratna state-owned manganese-ore mining company headquartered in Nagpur, India. With a market share of 50%, it was the largest producer of manganese ore in India in the fiscal year 2008. MOIL Limited has been ranked 486 among the top 500 companies in India and 9th in the mines and metals sector of the fortune India 500 list for 2011. MOIL operates 10 mines, six located in Nagpur and Bhandara districts of Maharashtra and four in the Balaghat district of Madhya Pradesh. Of the 10, seven are underground mines (Kandri, Munsar, Beldongri, Gumgaon, Chikla, Balaghat and Ukwa mines) and three are opencast mines (DongriBuzurg, Sitapatore, and Tirodi). Its Balaghat mine is the deepest underground manganese mine in Asia.
- Highest ever 9.81 Lakh MT production of manganese ore (non-fines) during FY 2017-18 as compared to 8.32 Lakh MT during FY 2016-17 works out to 117.91% achievement over last year.
- MOIL recorded the highest ever sale of manganese ore (non-fines) during FY 2017-18 of 9.74 Lakh MT as compared to 9.59 Lakh MT during FY 2016-17.
- MOIL also recorded the highest ever turnover of Rs. 1323.46 crores from operations during FY 2017-18 as compared to 989.84 crores during FY 2016-17.
- MOIL incurred the highest ever Capex expenditure of Rs. 207.04 crores during FY 2017-18 as compared to 120.74 Crores during FY 2016-17.
- MOIL has filed patent application for “A composition useful as an alternative filling material for hydraulic stowing in an underground mine and the methods thereof”. All the research work for the product development and system has been carried out in–house by MOIL at Munsar and DongriBuzurg Mine.
- MOIL is conducting further trials to develop a suitable material for hydraulic transportation to fill the voids in underground mines. This will help reduce the river sand consumption for underground filling purpose in the years to come and will reduce environmental impact due to mining of river sand.
METAL SCRAP TRADE CORPORATION LIMITED (MSTC)
- MSTC Limited is a Mini Ratna Category-I PSU under the administrative control of the Ministry of Steel. The company was founded on 9th September 1964 to act as a regulating authority for export of ferrous scrap.
- MSTC’s JV company Mahindra MSTC Recycling Private limited (MMRPL) is the first company to take up initiative to set up an organized recycling and shredding of End of Life vehicles and white goods in an environment-friendly manner. Towards this goal, the JV Company has leased land of approx. 6 acres with 44000 Sq.ft covered area for India’s first ever state-of-the-art collection and dismantling centreat Greater Noida which is operational.
- The company buys old vehicles from individuals and institutions, from around Delhi and NCR for recycling. It offers attractive price for old vehicles along with add on services like towing. A shredding plant is in the process of being setup at Dahej, Gujarat, which will become operation next year and will be one of its own kinds in India. This will not only provide employment to locals but also substitute import of shredded scrap to India and save foreign exchange.
- Scrap cars, once received, are transported to the recycling facility at Greater Noida, and dismantled, depolluted and baled, using world class technology and adopting the best practices followed across Europe and USA in the recycling sector.
- MMRPL’s website cerorecycling.com has been launched and Radio advertisements have been started for spreading awareness of the benefits of the recycling facility for the society at large and about the resource optimisation in steel sector.
- In order to meet the requirement of shredded scrap in India, 50-60 such shredding plants will need to be immediately setup in different parts of the country.
- KIOCL Limited is a flagship Company under the Ministry of Steel. It is a mini-ratna company and has ISO 9001:2008, ISO 14001:2004 & OHSAS 18001:2007 certifications. It is an export oriented unit having expertise in iron ore mining, filtration technology & production of high quality pellets.
- The annual capacity of the pellet plant is to produce about 3.5 million tons of iron ore Pellets. Other facilities include reclaimer to load pellets directly from stockyard to vessel. Pellets produced at the Mangalore Plant have high quality metallurgical properties and are an ideal feed for blast furnace and DRI units.
- KIOCL has entered O&M contract with NMDC for Iron Ore Beneficiation and Pelletization Plant, with Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) to operate and manage 1.4 MTPA Chrome Ore Beneficiation plant at Kaliapani Odisha and had operated Coke Handling System(Crusher Conveyors) of MRPL,Mangaluru.
- Under the Make in India initiative, KIOCL has produced high grade pellets out of imported high grade ore procured from Brazil for exports.
- In order to support and participate in the National Policy on Skill Development,KIOCL has signed an MoU with National Skill Development Corporation and Quess Corporation Ltd., an approved NSDC partner. Training will be givento employees, contract workers, local youth, women and disadvantaged groups and employees of other nearby establishments including CPUs.
- Cumulative production of 23,27,000 Metric Tons and dispatches of 23,00,801 metric tons of pellets for the Financial Year 2017-18 are the highest since closure of Kudremukh mines.
- Based on the market price traded in the stock exchanges as on March 31, 2018, KIOCL has been included amongst the top five hundred listed companies on market capitalization. As per list released by NSE. KIOCL was at 182nd number in top 500 list.
- KIOCL has signed contract agreement with Odisha Mining Corporation Limited in July this yearfor completion of remaining works of their new chrome ore beneficiation plant at South Kaliapani, Odisha.
TURNAROUND OF CPSEs in 2017-18
• Strengthens its position as a profit making CPSE
• Standalone and neutral e-commerce service provider
• Biggest e-auction platform
• E-commerce includes disposal of scrap, sale of coal, ferromanganese,
iron ore etc.
• Also involved in e-auction of allocation of spectrum, coal
linkages, mining leases etc.
• Has turned into profit making CPSE in 2017-18
• Leading multi-disciplinary Design, Engineering, Consultancy
and contracting organisation in the field of not only metals
and mining but also in Power, Oil and Gas, Infrastructure,
Refineries & Petrochemicals, Pipelines, Railways etc
• Leading profit making CPSE under Ministry of Steel
• Achieved highest ever production of 35.5 MT in 2017-18
• Achieved highest ever sale of 36.1 MT in 2017-18
• Continues to be profit making CPSE
• Achieved highest ever non-fines production of 9.81 lakh MT
• Manganese Ore production of 12.01 lakh MT in 2017-18
• All time high turnover of Rs.1333.35 crore in 2017-18.
• Profit making CPSE.
• Highest cumulative production of 23.27 lakh tons in 2017-
18, an increase of 57% over the previous year
• Highest cumulative despatches i.e. 23.00 lakh tonnes in
2017-18, an increase of 66% of previous year.
• Revenue of operations at Rs.1629 crore in 2017-18, an
increase of 75% over the previous year.
• Profit making subsidiary CPSE.
• Renders specialised services of scrap and slag management
in steel plants.
• Generates Wealth from Waste by recycling slag and scrap
generated during iron & steel making process.
• RINL has turned EBITDA positive in 2017-18
• Production of 4.972 MT (Prov.)of liquid steel achieved in
2017-18, 46% higher than 3.391 MT in 2013-14.
• Sales turnover of Rs.16625 crore (Prov.) in 2017-18, a growth
of around 31% over corresponding period last year.
• SAIL has considerably reduced its losses during 2017-18
• Highest ever production of hot metal at 15.983 MT in 2017-18
• Highest ever production of crude steel at 15.021 MT, with a growth of 4% over last year
• Highest ever production of saleable steel in 2017-18 at14.071 MT
CORPORATE SPORTS POLICY
Union Minister of Steel, Chaudhary Birender Singh, unveiled the corporate sports policy for Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) under the Ministry of Steel this year. The policy provides a framework for promotion of sports by Steel Ministry CPSEs.
Sports is an indicator of a country’s economic development and strength and CPSEs, under the Steel Ministry, will strive to groom medal aspirants for the Olympic Games. CPSEs will discharge their responsibility through infrastructural and institutional support for talent spotting, scholarships, training and coaching.
Steel CPSEs will allocate a specific budget for sports activities, as per their financial strength, and this budget will be separate from the company’s CSR funds. The CPSEs under the Steel Ministry will encourage rural sports, sports for differently-abled and activities for homemakers by sponsoring annual and periodic sporting events. CPSEs of the Steel Ministry will also sponsor national and international sporting events.
All the Steel Ministry CPSEs will form an Apex Sports Body which will get affiliated to National Level Sports Associations and Federations, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and Para Olympic Federation and Association. Maharatna and Navaratna CPSEs will set up Sports Academy in at least one of the identified sports discipline and maintain infrastructure there for including general fitness equipment and facilities.
India became co-chair in global Forum for steel excess capacity from January 2018.
In 2018, the Scrapping Policy of Ministry of Steel is being finalized.